Today’s online Wall Street Journal has an article with the title " Why Kids Should Call the Robot ‘It’" that explores interactions of young kids with AI or AI-like things. The article doesn’t appear to be paywalled at the moment, although that could change: https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-kids-should-call-the-robot-it-11566811801
Some key points from the summary:
- Use the pronoun “it” when referring to a robot.
- Display a positive attitude toward the beneficial effects of AI.
- Encourage your child to explore how robots are built.
- Explain that humans are the source of AI-driven devices’ intelligence.
- Guard against AI-propelled toys that presume too much, such as claiming to be your child’s best friend.
- Invite children to consider the ethics of AI design, such as how a bot should behave after winning a game.
- Encourage skepticism about information received from smart toys and devices.