Hooking up the raspberry pi to a non-HDMI monitor

I only have monitors that have a VGA output. I have an adaptor, but the Raspberry Pi does not recognize the monitor. What can I do to fix this?

Not all VGA adapters work with the Raspberry Pi. This one does: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SW9JI9A/

Before you buy something new, try the one you have again; be sure the monitor is powered on and the adapter is connected to the Raspberry Pi before you apply power to the Pi. If that works, please let us know.

Unfortunately, that did not work.

Sorry. Tapp Middle School has a bunch of the adapters in the link, and those really do work.

I used this one with an old school monitor and it worked well.

VicTsing HDMI to VGA Adapter Converter Gold-Plated for PC, Laptop, DVD, Desktop and Other HDMI Input Devices - Black

Sold by: VicTsingDirect

Return eligible through Jun 1, 2019

$7.99

1 Like

And also… the default sound output for the Raspberry Pi running Raspbian is through the HDMI connection. You can plug headphones or a powered speaker into the AV jack, but you also have to enable analog audio in the software. Right-click the volume control (speaker icon) on the top right of the screen and click “analog” if "HDMI is selected. This is true for both VGA and DVI monitors.

1 Like